Pickleball is a fun and challenging sport that is easy to learn and enjoy at any age or skill level. it is a combination of tennis, badminton, and table tennis and is played on a badminton-sized court with a slightly modified tennis net. Players use solid paddles to hit plastic balls over the net. To become a pickleball pro, read on to discover the best pickleball equipment for beginners.
Pickleball is a great way to get exercise, meet new people, and have fun. It is also a low-impact sport, making it a good option for people of all ages and fitness levels.
If you are new to pickleball, you will need to purchase some basic pickleball equipment. Pickleball paddles, pickleball, and a place to play are must-haves. There are some optional equipment that can help improve your game, but it is not a must-have. The ruling body that approves pickleball equipment is USA Pickleball. Click HERE for the list of approved paddles and balls.
There are a variety of pickleball paddles available on the market, so it is important to choose one that is right for you. They range in dimensions, weights, materials, and cost. When choosing a pickleball paddle, consider the following factors:
- Paddle face material: Pickleball paddles are made from a variety of materials, including wood, fiberglass, graphite, and composite materials. Wood paddles are the least expensive, but they are also the least durable. Fiberglass paddles are more durable than wood paddles, but they are also less powerful. Graphite paddles are the most durable and powerful, but they are also the most expensive.
- Paddle weight: Pickleball paddles come in a variety of weights. Lightweight paddles are easier to control, but they are also less powerful. Heavyweight paddles are more powerful, but they are also more difficult to control. Beginner players should choose a midweight paddle for a good balance of power and control.
- Paddle grip size: Pickleball paddles come in a variety of grip sizes. Choose a paddle with a grip size that is comfortable for you to hold.
Best Pickleball Paddles for Beginners
Here are a few of the best pickleball paddles for beginners:
- Selkirk Amped: The Selkirk Amped paddle is a popular paddle for beginner and experienced players alike. It is made from polypropylene and fiberglass, and it offers a good balance of power, spin, and control.
- Selkirk SLK: The Selkirk SLK is a lightweight paddle that is easy to control. It is made from carbon fiber and is a good option for intermediate players.: The Selkirk Amped Epic is a midweight paddle that offers a good balance of power and control. It is made from graphite, and it is a good option for intermediate and advanced players.
- JOOLA Ben Johns Perseus: The JOOLA Ben Johns Perseus paddle is a carbon fiber paddle that adds power, accuracy, and control. This paddle is fully encased by carbon fiber and is for experienced players who want to take their games to the next level.
- Onix Graphite G5: The Onix Graphite G5 paddle is a fiberglass entry-level medium-weight paddle. The low cost and superior control make this paddle a great option for beginners or those with a tighter budget.
There are two types of pickleballs: outdoor pickleballs and indoor pickleballs. Outdoor pickleballs are made with a harder plastic shell and more holes, while indoor pickleballs are made with a softer plastic shell and fewer holes.
When choosing pickleballs, it is important to choose the right type for the surface you will be playing on. If you will be playing outdoors, you will need to use outdoor pickleballs. If you will be playing indoors, you will need to use indoor pickleballs.
Equipment for Pickleball
In addition to a pickleball paddle and pickleballs, you will also need the following equipment to play pickleball:
- Comfortable shoes: Pickleball is played on a variety of surfaces, so it is important to wear comfortable shoes that provide good traction. If you purchase shoes made specifically for pickleball, make sure to check the material the sole of the shoe is made of and if it will be appropriate for the court you are playing on. There are indoor pickleball shoes and outdoor pickleball shoes.
- Athletic clothing: Pickleball is a physical activity, so it is important to wear athletic clothing that is comfortable and allows you to move freely.
- Hat and sunglasses: If you are playing pickleball outdoors, it is important to wear a hat and sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun. Don’t forget the sunscreen!
Additional Pickleball Equipment
While most of the equipment listed above is essential for playing pickleball, there are a few other pieces of equipment that can be helpful, including:
- Pickleball bag: A pickleball bag can be used to carry your pickleball paddle, pickleballs, and other equipment. It is especially helpful if you plan on playing pickleball at different locations.
- Eye protection: It is important to wear eye protection when playing pickleball to protect your eyes from flying balls. You can wear safety glasses or goggles.
- Pickleball gloves: Pickleball gloves can help to protect your hands from blisters and calluses. They are also helpful for players with arthritis or other hand pain.
- Pickleball elbow brace: If you have elbow pain, you may want to wear a pickleball elbow brace to provide support and protection.
- Pickleball knee brace: If you have knee pain, you may want to wear a pickleball knee brace to provide support and protection.
Pickleball Training Equipment
There are a number of training equipment items that can help you to improve your pickleball skills. Some popular training equipment items include:
- Pickleball rebounder net: A pickleball rebounder net is a great way to practice your hitting and reflexes. It can be used to practice a variety of shots, including dinks, volleys, and overhead shots.
- Pickleball training balls: Pickleball training balls are weighted or foam balls that can be used to practice different aspects of your game. For example, weighted training balls can help to improve your power, while foam training balls can help to improve your accuracy.
- Pickleball resistance bands: Pickleball resistance bands can be used to strengthen your muscles and improve your range of motion. This can help you to hit the ball harder and further and to move more quickly around the court.
At-Home Pickleball Equipment
If you have the space, you can create your own at-home pickleball court. The popularity in some cities has caused court time to become practically impossible. This can be a great way to practice your skills and play games with friends and family. To create an at-home pickleball court, you will need the following equipment:
- Pickleball net: A pickleball net is the most important piece of equipment for an at-home pickleball court. There are a variety of pickleball nets available, so you can choose one that fits your needs and budget.
- Pickleball court lines: Pickleball court lines can be used to mark the boundaries of your at-home pickleball court. You can purchase pickleball court lines online or at a sporting goods store.
- Pickleball paddles and balls: Of course, you will also need pickleball paddles and balls to play pickleball.
If you are not able to create your own at-home pickleball court, you can also practice pickleball in your driveway or backyard. Just be sure to use caution and to be aware of your surroundings.
What equipment do I need to play pickleball?
The only essential equipment you need to play pickleball is a pickleball paddle and pickleballs. However, there are a few other pieces of equipment that can be helpful, such as:
- Pickleball bag: A pickleball bag can be used to carry your pickleball paddle, pickleballs, and other equipment.
- Eye protection: It is important to wear eye protection when playing pickleball to protect your eyes from flying balls.
- Hat and sunglasses: If you are playing pickleball outdoors, it is important to wear a hat and sunglasses to protect yourself from the sun.
Why is pickleball easier than tennis?
Pickleball is easier than tennis for a number of reasons. First, the pickleball court is smaller than the tennis court, which makes it easier to cover the court and hit the ball. Second, the pickleball net is lower than the tennis net, which makes it easier to hit the ball over the net. The ball moves slower in pickleball, allowing slower reflexes than in tennis.
What is the difference between a pickleball paddle and a tennis racket?
Pickleball paddles are smaller and have a shorter handle than tennis rackets. The pickleball paddle has a solid face compared to a tennis racket which has strings creating the hitting surface.
What type of pickleball paddle is best for beginners?
Pickleball beginners should choose a midweight paddle with a medium grip size. A midweight paddle will provide a good balance of power and control, and a medium grip size will be comfortable for most players.